Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Secred project, revealed.

Sharp readers will have noticed very few updates on this blog lately. That's because I was working on a Secret Project and didn't want the recipients to see it before it was ready.

Well, now it has been delivered, for the Most Heralded Baby Ever, and you all can see the final project.


Voila. Baby Sweater for Murrita.

Details

Yarn: 2 balls Cleckheaton's Country 8-ply Natural, in a heather purple color that seems to have been discontinued. This is a superwash wool; easy care for the new moms.

Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Practically Seamless Baby Sweater," from Knitter's Almanac. Modifications: my gauge is larger than hers. Also, instead of doing the Gull Stitch, I chose a 2x2 cable interspersed with 3 purl stitches. Finally, I knit the sleeves in the round (only doing cables on the fronts and plain purl stitches on the undersides, as cables all around made them all shrunk up and funky looking), and ended with 1" of ribbing.

Fasteners: large black snaps, over which I sewed these cute green flower buttons found at my LYS (interestingly enough, cheaper than at Beverly's!).

Preparation: I washed the sweater using a small amount of Orvus from my mom and blocked it on two towels on the couch. There was quite a bit of wrinkliness where the cables began. Perhaps next time, I'll decrease some stitches before I start the cables...?

Overall, I'm pleased with the result. I hear the moms are, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! Oh, this little sweater is gorgeous, it turned out so beautiful and I'm absolutely sure the recipient will wear it with pride :) Great work done!

heather said...

i don't know why, but i feel like this picture doesn't do it justice. this really is absolutely adorable, jennie. good work!

i still want the shoes as shown on the outside of the box though. sadly, those shoes do not exist.

snarfdog said...

This is adorable. Though the picture is cute, it totally doesn't do justice to the sweater. Jennie, you did a GREAT job on this. Very cute.

Dharma said...

I agree with others here, the picture simply doesn't do it justice AT ALL. This is such a sweet sweater.
(And yes, some of us have been tapping our feet waiting for a posting on this darn blog!)

andrea said...

OMG, WE LOVE IT! love the buttons, love the color, love the feel, love it! thank you so much, it's sooo sweet. yes, we were squawking over it. =)

Jennie said...

I'm really glad you love it. I was really pleased with it.

So... what other handknits does Murrita need? :)