Thursday, June 22, 2006

Blocking again

I blocked Graham's childHood sweater last night. I'd forgotten how hard blocking can be. Blocking the Leaf Lace Shawl was hard, just because it was hard to line up things straight (and with right angles, as for that center stripe) and stretch it out evenly.

But blocking something to measurements? Shew, even harder. Some pieces were slightly too small. No problem; stretch 'em a bit. Several dimensions were too big. Huh? Too big? I measured while knitting! But they must have gotten stretched while I washed and squoze them. Argh. So I crept my hands across them to bring in the width to reasonable size. I gave up on the sleeves and hope they're not too long on him. On the rest, I persevered.

Thankfully, we're having good blocking weather. It's supposed to be almost 90F/32C today.

Got some more rows done on the huge needle/crap-yarn-source shawl. I still love it but feel... dirty when I knit on it. Ha, I'm such a snob!

3 comments:

Dharma said...

Do you think there's a blocking service out there, somewhere? I'd use it!

Wen said...

Hey Jennie, I'm answering your question on my blog about Koigu...

It's very twisty, and that, combined with using the Magic Loop method makes for a slightly harder to knit toe up sock. It did get better as I progressed up the foot.

I'm just...not in love with this yarn like everyone else is. I have bought some other fingering weight yarns on etsy.com (put "sock yarn" in the search on their main page.) that had a lot more yardage and a better price. I even bought 400yds of cashmere/merino blend fingering for $25.00!

I have 3 more skeins of Koigu. I'm thinking I'll knit Grumperina's Jaywalkers with that and be done with Koigu for awhile.

Rabbitch said...

Sleeves can be rolled up, I wouldn't fret too much if I were you.