Thursday, October 12, 2006

Socktoberfest Q&A

For no known reason except that there are very few expectations, I joined Socktoberfest today:

  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
Hm, maybe a yearor two ago. I taught myself from an article in Interweave Knits about "Priscilla's Dream Socks" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Unfortunately, she uses a k3tog in her sock heels and I just hated the thought of that little lump in the side of the heel and abandoned it. Then I got the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and made a yellow sock for my son. It was too long but he loved it (and is still waiting for the second, damn that Second Sock Syndrome!).
  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first complete pair was River Rapids in Claudia's handpainted. They are too big but I still love them. They are pilling a little. The yarn is so, so soft. I like to wear them with my clogs.

  • What would you have done differently?
Really checked my gauge and gone down a needle size.
  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I'm knitting 2 different pairs of socks now with KnitPicks' Memories sock yarn. It really is nice--soft and the variegation is gentle enough not to pool. The colourways are Redwood Forest and Cape Cod and I liked them when I bought them, and like them more and more as I knit with them. Great yarn. (I hope they don't get felted ever!)
  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
2 socks on 2 circs. Rules! SSS haunts me. DPNs are too pokey and hard to transport. Magic Loop, although I haven't tried it, just seems like it would strain the yarn at the loop.
  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I've only done flap and short-row and I really prefer the flap. I think they both look neat, though.
  • How many pairs have you made?
2--the River Rapids and Mom's socks that would not die. I hope to finish the Cape Cod socks soon and pick up and finish the Child's First Socks soon thereafter.

1 comment:

Dharma said...

Jennie my dear, you are, are you sitting down?, "A Joiner". That's why.