Tuesday, October 03, 2006

When in doubt, start a new project

K had expressed interest in the KnitPicks Redwood Forest socks I'm making in the Child's First Sock pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. They are lovely but a little dainty for her, I think. And too slow!

She gave me a lovely pearl and amethyst necklace for our 2-month anniversary (last Friday). I told her I would knit her socks (despite Yarn Harlot's admonishment, as it was similar to the Boyfriend Sweater and, in her opinion, just not worth it). I brought up 4 possibilities from my sock yarn stash (mmm, I just love typing that!) and she gave me the choice. I chose the other set of skeins from KnitPicks, the Cape Code colorway.

I cast on last weekend, using the basic directions from Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (a requested Christmas gift, yeah!). My only complaint is that they are top-down. I really like toe-up, but am unable to translate the pattern into toe-up (OK, that is another complaint). I think they will go quickly. I did choose to do K2P2 ribbing and will continue it onto the instep. Otherwise, very basic sock. With lovely Cape Coddish colors (as if I would know--but beautiful dark and lighter and greener sea blues and beige sand colors).

The pessimist in me says, well, we damn well have to stay together till I finish these freaking socks.

3 comments:

Dharma said...

I *was* going to try to be positive, but now I think I'm going to say that you will never finish anything. Again I say, Evil? No not moi.

Jennie said...

Ha! I don't know what your intended effect was, but now this makes me want to finish G's sweater even more, just to prove you wrong!

Anonymous said...

I dunno I have yet to actually finish anything I've started for my partner.... the way I figure it he has to stay with me till I finish the sweater, three pairs of socks, scarf, hat, and mittens are all done and with as much knitting I have on the needles and as fast as I start new projects that may be another 50 years....