Monday, January 09, 2006

Thuja

A blog mentioned Thuja (she chanted it, over and over) the other day, and I was sitting there wondering, What the heck is Thuja? (I gathered that it was a sock thing but that's it)

And of course, it's a pattern from Knitty. Just discovered it today. I think I'll do my purple sock yarn in it. I'll have to majorly adjust the pattern, I think, as the Elann yarn seems to be twice as thin as the yarn they used. If you want to check my math, I'd be obliged:

They used ArtYarns Supermerino, 104 yd/95m per 50g skein on #6 needles, 22 sts/36 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
I have Elann Sock It To Me Collection Essential 4 Ply, 210 m (230 yards) per 50 g skein, recommended #1 or #2 needles. Gauge is 28-30 st/4 inches but no number of rows given. Argh.

So... either I'd make it with the yarn doubled (and need 6 skeins?!?), or I use maybe size 3 needles and approximate the gauge...? I can try the sock yarn on #2 and #3 needles and see what gauge I get.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

No comments: